Consult Doctors. Free.
Ask a doctor in Singapore. Get answers in 24 hours.
DxD will always be free for the first 1000 members who sign up.
Thank you for your question. Dark eye circles actually have a combination of causes. The most common ones are:
- Pigmentation on the lower eyelids
- Vascular congestion and prominent blood vessels especially in fair skinned individuals or those with thin lower eyelids
- Shadowing of the area due to hollowing from fat loss/sagging or hypertrophic tarsal muscles
The solution hence should be a detailed consult and physical examination, which is then normally followed by a combination treatment approach.
My treatment approach is:
- Treat underlying medical condition (sinusitis or poor sleep worsens vascular congestion)
- Combination of lasers to thicken the lower eyelid skin, treat pigmentation, as well as treat prominent blood vessels or vasculature
- Mix of botox and fillers to treat any shadowing
- Maintain results with my recommended skincare
Detailed consultation and proper photography of this condition is very important.
Hope this helps!
There is really no perfect method to “curing” dark eye circles. Usually treatments done would be to reduce the severity and the treatment will take a period of time.
The causes of dark eye rings include
- Genetics- fair or thin skin makes blood vessels/capillaries more obvious.
- Age- Obviously responsible for thinning of supportive connective tissue and veins become more obvious
- Allergies and UV rays also need to darkening of the undereye region
- Fillers can be used if there is significant tissue loss in the eye area by buttressing the underlying vessels.
- Topical treatments – Arnika based creams do help with the pigmentation, Retinols also help improve the issue of thin skin
- Lifestyle changes: Sleep, reduced computer addiction (aren’t we all guilty of it)
- Antihistamines for people prone to allergies.
- Lasers can be used, they sometimes help people with superficial pigmentation that worsens the visual severity of dark eye circles.
As Dr Chua said, photography is useful for monitoring the progress
Dr Winston Lee
South Bridge Aesthetics Clinic
Thank you for your question. The causes of dark eye circle can be divided into 3 points as my esteemed colleagues have mentioned.
Treating the cause:
Conservative measures include lifestyle changes.
- Adequate sleep and taking less coffee and alcohol,
- Not rubbing the area around the eyes,
- Cut down on smoking, and sun exposure.
More active measures for removal include
- Sunprotection – Here I cant stress enough the T.C.S principle. Time, cover and shade. Time: The sun is strongest between 10am to 4pm so please use stay indoors if you can. Cover: Use your brolly, sunglasses whenever you head out for lunch. Sunscreen: Generous use of sunscreen will complete the picture.
- Use of lightening products that contain hydroquinone and Vit C. Hydroquinone is the gold standard for lightening, and found in medical grade clinics only.
- Dermatological procedures for example, pigment lasers and undereye fillers.
Dr Daniel Chang